Thursday 16 October 2008

Browser wars

The competition between browsers is hotting up.

The Netscape browser had its support officially rescinded earlier this year, with Netscape's development team recommending users switch to Mozilla-originated software (Firefox, Flock, etc.).

Since then, Google has recently released Chrome, Mozilla is gaining ground with Firefox 3.0, whilst Flock has quietly released version 2.0 (beta) of its 'social browser'.

I am a fan of Firefox, even though it has had a few problems recently. And I think it's important to have an alternative to the big players. For its faults, Firefox has made significant in-roads (cliché alert!) into an area dominated by Microsoft.

But Flock has got my attention - it's based on Mozilla's open source software, but it allows me to 'plug in' feeds and updates from all manner of social networking services and blogs, like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc. I can browse and view 'media streams' (pictures from Flickr, etc.) at the same time. When I tried version 1.0 last year, I didn't get it. Now we have Twitter, I do. Very cool ;)

Tried Google's Chrome, too. Like a lot of Google Apps, it's still in Beta, but expect them to make small changes quietly and often. A faster, safer and more robust experience is promised. It's a very simple, very 'Google' layout, the most notable features of which are search and history available in the address bar (à la Firefox's 'awesome bar'); recent 'most visited' sites arranged on the one tab (each time you open a new one); and links on your desktop to Google applications. It's the last feature which is leading some to suggest it's not about browsers or that it's somehow the beginnings of a 'Google Operating System'.

And what of Microsoft? Well, they're busy with IE8. Today I downloaded MSIE8 Beta to try and straight away, I had this flashback to the moment I decided to ditch IE in favour of Firefox, as upon restart, it told me it's running without add-ons:

Click here to manage, disable, or remove add-ons.

So I check my add-ons: they're all enabled (those that are supported). I can disable them or add some more, but how do I manage them? How do I just get rid of the annoying yellow bar?

I gave up.

At this point, I should like to make it known that other browsers are available: Safari from Apple and Opera...from Opera.

No comments: