Monday 11 August 2008

Two-speed customer service

You can tell a lot about how much a company values your call, by the option number which corresponds to your reason for calling.

I phoned Tesco's helpline this morning about a problem with one of their own brand products.

Presented with six options, I had to sit through the whole message to get to my option, No.6: all other customer enquiries.

I wasn't phoning to find a product, a store, enquire about fuel or my shopping delivery.

I was an existing customer with a problem, put to the back of the queue. Much like the banks, who offer the best deals to new customers, my problem was deemed less of a priority.

Of course, it's off-putting to new or potential customers to hear an option for complaints or problems. The loud, agitated customer making a scene will always be ushered to somewhere more private, out of the way.

But problems happen and when they do, it would be nice to know that there is a dedicated number, with people dedicated to serving you, the existing customer.

No comments: